|Department: Programs & Impact
Duty Station: Accra, Ghana
The African Capacity Building Foundation (ACBF) has recently developed a new strategic plan: Transformative Capacities for a Sustainable & Inclusive Growth in Africa 2023-2027 that focuses on four thematic program pillars: Economic and Social Governance, Climate Change and Energy for Productive Use, Trade as an engine of economic development, and Agribusiness and Food Sovereignty. In addition, the new Strategic Plan has identified four key cross cutting issues: women and youth, digitalization, and data talent.
PURPOSE OF ROLE
1. The Head, Program Quality and Innovation will be responsible for developing a monitoring mechanism that tracks, generates, and assesses timely and reliable information to ensure evidence-based program management.
2. S/he will be responsible for the implementation of the Strategy Results Measurement Framework (SRMF) that will support the result-based Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) of the Strategic Plan.
3. The Head, Program Quality & Innovation will provide leadership, coordination, strategic support and/or mutual learning on program design, planning, monitoring, evaluation, and learning.
4. The Head, Program Quality & Innovation will report to the Director, Programs & Impact.
5. The ideal candidate for this role thrives working within a team structure, sharing information and insights, and engaging in ongoing intellectual exchange.
6. The incumbent must be comfortable building bridges between academia, non-profit, government, and private corporate sectors.
7. He/she should have experience in designing, planning, and implementing program quality systems, and in managing people and processes.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Establish and maintain functional and empowering relationships with partners, policymakers, government officials, and other interest groups who can either be targets or alliance partners of ACBF’s influencing work
2. Contribute to knowledge production and maximise use of the knowledge networks to share strategic thinking and learning more widely to ensure that programming builds on learning and is evidence based, innovative and agile to respond to opportunities for change
3. Map issues, trends, narratives and stay abreast with development and discourses on program quality and innovation with specific reference to ACBF’s area of work
4. Provide strategic leadership and management of ACBF’s Program Quality and Innovation portfolio,
5. Working within and across the ACBF Programs and Impact team, ensuring tactical and effective engagement from program staff within designated thematic area
6. Accompany and support the transformation of program quality practices in ACBF in line with its strategic ambition and quality standards, policies, and processes. The position will provide mentorship, guidance, coordination and direct support on relevant program quality and innovation topics fostering linkages with innovative approaches at scale
7. Work collaboratively with other team members to develop, define, and implement program strategies to achieve significant and scalable impact across Africa
8. Coordinate the overall budget management, work planning, administrative requirements, monitoring, and reporting of activities throughout the program cycle, in line with the set-out program work plan and partner requirements.
9. Ensure that all program expenditures are in line with the approved budget and properly accounted for.
10. Produce monthly, quarterly, and annual program progress reports to ensure smooth implementation of activities and timely submission of reports to ACBF Management team and partners
11. Working closely with the Business Development team, contribute to the development of quality funding proposals
12. People management: Attract, motivate, retain, and develop Program Quality team members, creating a positive work environment
13. Manage and provide the required guidance and support to the program team to deliver the program’s expected results, using the results framework, and work plans including the design of training programs and an outline of learning outcomes.
14. Manage team members’ performance
15. Design and supervise implementation of team processes and tools that support external engagement (e.g., CRM)
16. Implement a knowledge and learning approach for innovation including design learning questions, co-creation of knowledge, development of knowledge products and use of knowledge by internal and external audience. This will include both how ACBF innovates in Africa and the innovative solutions developed
1. Representing the Foundation in diverse communities, including speaking engagements, attending conferences and participating in other key internal and external meetings
2. Network building and connecting grantees, partners, and other stakeholders.
3. Build the influence and leverage of ACBF work to achieve greater impact. This includes facilitating and managing partnerships/relationships with other capacity building actors, donors, and other actors to advance the strategy.
4. Manage relationships and coordinate engagement with Ministries, and other stakeholders, and role of stakeholder, expected results, and milestones.
|DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS, COMPETENCIES AND EXPERIENCE
1. Master’s degree or higher in an appropriate field with a minimum of 10 years professional experience in an appropriate area linked to program quality and innovation in development, with significant experience in program design and implementation gained at a relevant organisation/institution, with experience of employing market-based solutions to address complex social and development challenges.
2. Leadership and management experience in leading the delivery of complex operations and program strategy with a multi-disciplinary team, working with multiple external stakeholders, across locations and time zones.
3. Strong understanding of market-based solutions, ideally with experience engaging with investors/donor communities
4. Deep understanding of political, economic, and social trends in Africa, with an ability to work across different sectors in the continent.
5. Strong project management skills, deadline management, sense of responsibility and accountability and the ability to effectively multi-task.
6. Powerful conceptual and analytical skills, with a track record in using data and analytics to inform dynamic strategy implementation, priority setting, and decision-making.
7. Experience in communicating externally, either in large groups, or in smaller engagements for representational and influencing purposes
8. Ability to travel frequently, particularly within Africa.
1. An intellectually curious but humble leader with a high degree of compassion, able to engage, enable and inspire.
2. A hands-on approach to all activities with real passion and high levels of energy. Agile and comfortable adapting to different environments.
3. Creative and resourceful in overcoming barriers and unexpected roadblocks. Courageous in spirit, driving change through innovation.
4. An authentic leader who intuitively engenders an inclusive environment, enabling program to reach its ambitious goals.
5. Possesses high personal standards of ethics and integrity towards employees, stakeholders, and beneficiaries.
6. Diversity of thought and experience. Continually seeks new perspectives and feedback, takes an inclusive approach,
7. High levels of learning-agility with a real interest in the capacity building ecosystem.
8. Entrepreneurial and comfortable with ambiguous and change-led environments; self-confident with an authentic style that gravitates to championing change.
9. Eager to seek a challenge and expand frontiers; brings a visionary approach. Sets and meets a high bar of goals and principles.
10. Servant leadership mentality, deeply committed to serving and listening to others. Natural ability to build strong relationships and enable collaboration through empathy and authenticity.
11. Committed to building a community through ACBF’s principles.
The African Capacity Building Foundation offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience. The Foundation provides a very generous package of benefits.
About the African Capacity Building Foundation
For more than 30 years, The African Capacity Building Foundation (ACBF) has been building human capital and institutional capacity for Africa’s sustainable development. With membership from 40 African Countries, the African Development Bank, the United Nations Development Program, The African Union, and The World Bank, ACBF is the leading institution for capacity development in Africa.
While serving all actors, ACBF recognizes the importance of and pays attention to improving the effectiveness of Africa’s public sector institutions at local, national, regional, and continental levels to become effective systems integrators and catalyzers of sustainable and transformative change.
Since its creation in 1991, ACBF has trained over 50,000 personnel in civil service, most of whom hold key positions in Ministries of Finance, Planning or Economic Development and Central Banks across the continent. The Foundation has established a network of over 50 think tanks supporting evidence-based policymaking across Africa and conducted numerous policy research/analyses, which have been critical in informing economic management and establishing benchmarks for success.
The Foundation currently maintains offices in Accra, Addis Ababa, Harare, and Nairobi.
To apply for this position please submit in confidence a resume and a cover letter that details why you are a good fit for this career position quoting the reference, “Head, Program Quality and Innovation/05/2023,’ to
The Executive Secretary
The African Capacity Building Foundation
P.O. Box 1562
Please note, only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.
The African Capacity Building Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer
We strongly encourage qualified female candidates to apply.