|Closing Date 2023/08/11
Reference Number LAN230730-3
Job Title Commercial Banker [Cape Town]
Division Commercial Development Banking
Unit Commercial Development Banking
Job Type Classification Permanent
Location - Country South Africa
Location - Province Western Cape
Location - Town / City Cape Town
JOB ADVERT SUMMARY
The Land and Agricultural Development Bank of South Africa (Land Bank) is South Africa’s only specialist agricultural bank established in 1912, the bank’s sole objective is to serve South African commercial and emerging farmers and bring specially designed financial services within their reach. These services enable farmers to finance land, equipment, improve assets and obtain production credit. The Land Bank provides financial services that have moved with the times and continues to provide services to agri-business and constantly reviews its offerings to ensure that they match the needs of an industry. As change has swept across the sector in South Africa the socio-economic makeup of agriculture has altered, bringing new entrants from historically disadvantaged backgrounds on to the land, these new farmers, facing the challenges of establishing sustainable agri-businesses across the agricultural value chain, Land Bank has been a commercial lifeline offering appropriately designed financial products that facilitate personal and commercial viability in a sector that is vital to the sustainability of South Africa and its people.
MAIN PURPOSE OF THE JOB
1. Markets Land Bank products and services to existing clients or new clients with the aim of growing the direct lending Loan Book.
2. On the receipt of client interest views past performance of clients and assess potential of the deal. Advises clients on the requirements for applications and sends pack through for completion.
3. For viable deals visits clients and performs an analysis on the institution/organisation of a new potential transaction.
4. Acquires all documentation prior to deal structuring.
5. Works in consultation with members of the Origination team in the Provincial Office and the Credit Analysts in Head Office to construct the deal.
6. To provide recommendations on the viability of the loan application based on analysis and interpretation of, amongst others:
1) Management shareholding structure, organisational structure
2) Governance matters
3) Competitive advantage
4) Value proposition
5) Distribution channels
Key Performance Areas
Sales Targets and Client Interactions
1. Reviews targets set and plans approach to achieving goals
2. Plans for client canvassing approaches on a weekly basis
3. Presents the land Bank to prospective clients via presentations, farmers unions etc.
4. Educates the community regarding the products and services provided by the Land Bank
5. Identifies potential clients and follows up on interest
6. Deals with client queries as the first point of contact and resolves issues
7. Meets with current clients to review services provided and determine if there is an additional sales opportunity
New Client Reviews and Application Advice
1. Reviews clients requests for potential applications
2. Determines past performance of clients and level of potential business
3. Should client appear viable commence advisory service on application process and requirements
4. Review of initial application or assist clients with requirements particularly for emerging farmers
5. Advise on elements of the application such as business plans, planting cycles and farm set ups
6. Advise clients on governance and legislative requirements that may impact business such water permit rights for irrigation and environmental assessments
1. For viable or potential clients conduct full institutional assessments
2. Assess clients management expertise, experience and skill mix
3. Shareholding structure and assessment of individual shareholders as well as project operating structure
4. Organisational structure and the extent to which it supports strategy execution
5. Governance set up, board of directors, board committees and charters, complementarity of board skill mix, etc.
6. Adequacy of human capital in terms of numbers and skill base. Human capital plan and strategy
7. Organisational policies, procedures, systems, processes, internal control environment, etc.
Finalising Proposed Loan Application
1. Prepares final loan application to present to the Credit Committee
1) Conducts all checks and addresses defaults with clients
2) Gather all relevant documentation and review all information to determine financial robustness
2. Actively engage and collaborate with Risk Management (Credit) throughout the deal structuring process to ensure alignment, strengthen the quality of the application, and positively influence the efficiency of the approval processes and deal outcome
3. If deal is approved sell to client including terms and conditions, interest rates
Stakeholder Relationship Management
1. Adopt a customer service ethos.
2. Build, foster and maintain consistent, effective and strong relationships with existing and new clients within the allocated portfolio
3. Follow the operational plan to ensure a consistent and meaningful customer visitation programme, including onsite farm visits.
4. Keep all stakeholders regularly informed of the status of the projects and, or transaction/s.
5. Log all interactions with clients and relevant role players for reference purposes, log complaints and compliments as per policy procedures and ensure that required action is taken
6. Identify the relevant role players in accordance with business requirements and dependencies.
7. Support national and localised sales campaigns.
Compliance and Risk Management
1. Escalate issues of concern or risk to the relevant parties and line management. Consistently keep track of loan application process and progress.
2. Provide feedback to the line manager on progress and specific problem areas.
Business and Team Support
1. Work collaboratively with Business Analyst, Agriculture Specialist: Origination, Credit and Portfolio Management to address matters and review complex transactions thereby mitigating any potential risk and ensure that the required results for the allocated portfolio are achieved.
2. Ensure the conclusion of agreed terms and agreements working in collaboration with the Conveyancer and Intermediaries as applicable. Provide appropriate input to conveyancer and/or intermediaries for the conclusion of the financing agreements.
3. Attend team meetings and contribute meaningfully to integrate and align on current and future activities
4. Escalate issues of concern or risk to the relevant parties and line management.
5. Attend to ad-hoc requests from management and contribute to departmental success.
|PREFERRED MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
1. Relevant 3 year qualification in commerce, business, banking, or other relevant and equivalent qualifications
2. 3-5 years experience in the management of client relationships, preferably in a financial and customer facing environment.
3. 1-2 years knowledge to assess a business case for an agricultural farming business and the competency to interpret financial statements, and do financial calculations.
4. 3 years knowledge of credit principles and practices and relevant legislation.
1. Microsoft Office
2. Analytical Skills
3. Customer Service Orientation
4. Financial / Business Acumen
5. Agricultural Industry
6. Organisational analysis and market evaluation
7. Strategy analysis and governance assessments
8. Credit Risk assessment
9. Structuring of Corporate and Commercial transactions
1. Valid SA driver's license
2. Willing to travel extensively
3. Extended hours as and when required