Advisor (m/f/d) „Strengthening Public Financial and Economic Management (PFEM)“ in Malawi [Lilongwe]
POSTED BY: Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH
Date Published:25 October 2023
Date of Expiration:22 April 2024
RECOMMEND THIS JOB ON FACEBOOK
|LOCATION OF THIS JOB
| Malawi | LILONGWE in Malawi
|MAIN JOB DESCRIPTION
Assignment period: 01/01/2024 - 03/31/2025
Type of employment: full- or part-time
Application deadline: 11/12/2023
• Your professional and personal development is important to us. At GIZ, you will be offered global work opportunities and an atmosphere that is characterised by diversity, respect and genuine equal opportunities. Gender equality promotion is a matter of course for us. Our benefits are also impressive in terms of work-life balance and family friendliness. Flexible working hours that fit your life situation, comprehensive onboarding and internal health management are an integral part of our corporate culture, along with the opportunity to use childcare facilities and parent/child offices.
• GIZ is a signatory of the Diversity Charter. Recognition, appreciation and inclusion of diversity in the company are important to us. All employees shall be valued - regardless of gender and gender identity, nationality, ethnic origin, religion or belief, disability, social background, age or sexual orientation.
• GIZ would like to increase the proportion of employees with disability, both in Germany and abroad. Applications from persons with disabilities are most welcome.
• Our model for success is a better life for everyone and purposeful tasks for our employees. For more than 50 years, the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ), as a company of the German Federal Government, has been supporting the implementation of development policy goals worldwide. Together with partner organisations in more than 130 countries, we are involved in a diverse range of projects. If you want to make a difference in the world and develop yourself in the process, you've come to the right place.
The GIZ PFEM project is implemented on behalf of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development. It supports key actors in the public finance system in Malawi on aspects of budget execution, the management of public contracts and revenue mobilization. It focuses on institutional capacity, digital systems and change management.The lead executing agency of the project is the Ministry of Finance & Economic Affairs. Other key project partners are the Office of the President and Cabinet and the Malawi Revenue Authority.
1. Content-related and conceptual advice and support to the Integrated Financial Management Information System (IFMIS) team and staff in the Accountant General’s Department (AGD) with a view to achieving and sustaining the full functionality of the new SAP-based IFMIS, this includes advice on the required change management and capacity development
2. Advice and support on improving the integrity of data, financial reporting and accounting procedures and treatment pertaining to the IFMIS (e.g. strengthening internal controls, reports), this includes “hands-on” coverage of existing skills gaps in financial management and the development of accounting and financial management capacity
3. Providing advice on the overall Portfoliomanagement reform issues as they relate to Government of Malawi financial management in general and in particular those reforms spearheaded by AGD
4. Identification, preparation and steering of consultancy missions. This includes the development of Terms of References, preparation of procurement documents in line with GIZ rules and technical evaluation of offers from bidders
5. Technical coordination with relevant stakeholders of the project and with development partners in the field of public financial management
6. Implementation of cross-cutting tasks such as event and knowledge management, project monitoring and reporting
|REQUIREMENTS FOR THIS JOB
1. Completed university studies in the field of in accounting, business administration, financial management or comparable fields of study
2. Professionally qualified accountants with current membership in a professional accounting body that is a member of the International Federation of Accountants (e.g. Association of Chartered Certified Accountants, Certified Public Accountant, Chartered Institute of Public Finance and Accountancy and, Chartered Accountants or equivalent qualifications)
3. Several years of work experience in accounting and financial management at senior management/advisory level in a public sector accounting environment preferably gained in developing or emerging countries.
4. Extensive knowledge of different public financial management systems, processes, procedures and internal controls, covering all dimensions of public expenditure management and implementation of automated accounting systems, including knowledge and understanding of developments in International Accounting Standards, International Public Sector Accounting Standards and the International Monetary Fund’s Government Financial Statistics reporting requirements
5. In-depth knowledge and experience in the implementation of an IFMIS covering aspects of system design, networking, database management, application development and implementation, testing and integration, support and maintenance and other IT related implementation activities
6. Substantial experience in a technical advisory or consulting role supporting a government Accountant General or working on implementation of public financial management reform projects in government (e.g., financial management policies, procedures and information systems) – ideally in a developing country context
7. Strong conceptual, analytical skills as well as advisory skills and extensive experience as an advisor
8. Business fluent in English
We are pleased to offer you a first impression on topics such as climate, shopping and services, the school situation and health care in Malawi.
In general, the security situation is calm. GIZ staff must adhere to security measures at all times. Please also check the county-specific information provided by the German Federal Foreign Office. A contact person for security risk management is appointed at the local GIZ office. GIZ does not impose any restrictions on life partners and family members to move with you to the country of deployment. Please note that the general and personal living conditions in the country of assignment may meet with different legal and social acceptance. We gladly support you with our many years of experience.
Further information on country-specific advice from the Federal Foreign Office at https://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/en.
This job is suited to a full or a part-time position.
Please observe the provisions of the country-specific vaccination regulations for entry and work in the country of assignment - in particular also regarding COVID-19.
To ensure and further strengthen GIZ's ability to deliver, the willingness to operate in changing conditions in Germany as well as abroad is of high corporate interest.
The willingness for frequent business trips is required.
We are happy to help accompanying partners discuss questions about benefits, residence permits and how to find your own job locally - feel free to get in touch with us during your application phase at email@example.com
Please understand, that we can only accept and process applications via our E-recruiting system. Following the confirmation of your successful application, kindly check your spam / junk mail folder on a regular basis, since some provider classify emails from our recruiting system as spam.